dselect problem: gcc-3.0-sparc64

The gcc-3.0-sparc64 package managed to install itself about
half way, before dieing because it couldn't delete gcc-3.0.1
files.

Unfortunately, it now takes presedence over every other package.
It will not install/or uninstall, but deselect will not work
on any of the other packages until it is delt with!  (Actually,
it installs one other, in parallel before failing.)

If I try to uninstall it I get:
dpkg: error processing gcc-3.0-sparc64 (--purge):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.

If I try to place it on HOLD, I get: (same as install)
The following held packages will be changed:
  gcc-3.0-sparc64
[...]
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/gcc-3.0_1%3a3.0.3-1_sparc.deb (--unpack):
 trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/gcc-lib/sparc-linux/3.0.3/specs', which is
also in package gcc-3.0-sparc64

The really sad thing is, this is on a sparc10, which won't even
use it anyway....

Bob