Re: boot-floppies 3.0.21 for testing

Joshua Uziel <uzi@uzix.org> writes:

> * My installation method was "network".  An improvement here is that the
>   bogus /etc/resolv.conf problem is gone so DNS lookups work properly
>   (yay!).  But on the down side, anywhere where it looks like there
>   should be a progress bar shows nothing of any value.  Just a flashing
>   cursor that sometimes moved.

Sounds like we have some console problem -- perhaps with fbdev or something?
No clue what would be causing that, annoying.

Someone should perhaps file a bug, either on the
kernel-image-2.4.18-sun4u package or possibly boot-floppies (not sure
what would be responsible for it).

> * After installing the kernel image, I selected "Configure Device Driver
>   Modules" but it complained that there were none to configure.  I'm
>   thinking that it was looking for them in a .../2.4.18/ directory, but
>   at this point:
>
>   [11:46am] avocado:~$ uname -a
>   Linux avocado 2.4.17 #1 Wed Mar 6 13:24:45 EST 2002 sparc64 unknown
>
>   2.4.17 is clearly installed.  This is probably a one-liner typo.

That's very strange!  I told it to build with 2.4.18...

> * The biggest problem I ran info however was after the system was
>   installed... running base-config, I couldn't see which item I was
>   selecting from the lists or the yes/no questions (no cursor).

Same issue as above.

> Adam - if there's anything else you want me to try let me know either on
> or off the list.  I've got a bunch of SPARCs here, ranging from the SS2
> to this AX1105... I just figured this machine would be among the tougher
> tests for starters. :)  If you've got this one, then most of the other
> Ultras should work as well... no idea about the 32-bit machines.  Did
> you stick with a 2.2.x kernel for those?  If so, you're probably safe.

Yes.

Thanks for the offer.  Just continuing to test the installation
system, and filing bugs accordingly, is the best way to help.

I think we'll be releasing 3.0.21 officially tonight.