openafs on Ultra1 with 2.4.17 kernel

Dear People,

I'm having trouble getting even the compilation of this module started.
2.4.17 compiled with no problems. Note however that I had to install
egcs64 to get the kernel to compile. (By the way, why can't I find egcs64
on packages.debian.org?) However, when I do "fakeroot make-kpkg
modules_image" I get the following

make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/modules/openafs'
ln -s @sys/dest dest
ln -s Error: Not Supported @sys
ln: when making multiple links, last argument must be a directory
make[1]: [build-modules-stamp] Error 1 (ignored)
sh configure --with-afs-sysname=Error: Not Supported
--with-linux-kernel-headers=/usr/src/linux
configure: warning: Not: invalid host type
configure: warning: Supported: invalid host type
configure: error: can only configure for one host and one target at a time
make[1]: *** [build-modules-stamp] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/modules/openafs'
Module /usr/src/modules/openafs failed.

I'm following steps that have always worked for me in i386. I am
speculating that 2.4 kernels may be simply not supported, but that
contradicts bug reports I read on the web.

I see that /debian/sysname says

  sparc)
        case $KVERS in
            2.2*)
                echo sparc_linux22
                ;;
            2.4*)
                echo sparc_linux24
                ;;
            esac
        ;;
    sparc64)
        case $KVERS in
            2.2*)
                echo sparc64_linux22
                ;;
            2.4*)
                echo Error: Not Supported
                ;;
            esac
        ;;

If I'm trying to do sparc64 does this mean 2.4 is not supported? But I'm
not even sure what the difference is between sparc and sparc64.  Can
someone help me? I want to use 2.4.17 so I can use ext3 and I'm found
2.4.17 (at least on i386) to be very stable.

                                        Sincerely, Faheem Mitha.