Re: RAID Support?

On Tue, Mar 12, 2002 at 01:06:05PM -0700, David Morris wrote:
> I have a Sparc LX acting as an email/web/ssh server (hopefully soon to be
> upgraded to a Sparc20), and I would like to add a Raid-5 array to the
> system.
>
> I have heard suggestions (though no detailed experiences) that Raid doesn't
> work all that well on a Sparc running Linux 2.2.
>
> Has anyone setup a Raid array (Raid-5 specifically) on a Sparc system, and
> have any experience on what the troubles are that I might encounter?

It all depends on what type of an array you are using. If you are using
software raid, you should be ok. If you are using an external raid array
(like a Sun A1000/D1000 array), then it just appears as a single driver
to Linux, so you should be ok there aswell (although, you'll need to
configure the raid under Solaris).

Since the LX does not have PCI, then I doubt you'll be using any PCI
based SCSI raid cards, so I wont bother mentioning them :)

/       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
`          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '