Re: RAID Support?

My own experience using RAID on my Sparc2 has been positive.  I've got 4
disks (sd0-3).  Each 4gb disk is partitioned into a 15MB boot partition
(RAID1), with the rest of the disk joined into a 12GB RAID5 device.

The last kernel I was able to successfully patch using the old
"dangerous" raid drivers was 2.2.18.  It's been running fine for over a
year now, surviving two disk replacements.  I remember it was a
task-and-a-half to work out the patch, first because the last released
patch was for 2.2.15, and second because I'm also running devfs.  But
the two together have been running fine.

> I have a Sparc LX acting as an email/web/ssh server (hopefully soon to be
> upgraded to a Sparc20), and I would like to add a Raid-5 array to the
> system.
>
> I have heard suggestions (though no detailed experiences) that Raid
doesn't
> work all that well on a Sparc running Linux 2.2.
>
> Has anyone setup a Raid array (Raid-5 specifically) on a Sparc system, and
> have any experience on what the troubles are that I might encounter?
>
> --David

Get your own FREE E-mail address at http://www.linuxfreemail.com
Linux FREE Mail is 100% FREE, 100% Linux, 100% better, and 100% yours!