Re: E250 crashing hard with 2.4.16 and 2.4.17

On Fri, 1 Mar 2002, Tille, Andreas wrote:

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, B.C.J.O wrote:
>
> > I have been running the 2.4.17 kernel (2.4.18 doesn't compile) with ext3
> > built right into the image on an ultra60 with two cpus and 512mb of ram.
> > the root filesystem is running on ext2, but I have /home mounted on a
> > large (36gb) ext3 partition. I have been experiencing random hard locks
> > that I have not been able to track down; This machine previously ran with
> > only ext2 filesystems (even on 2.4.17) for long periods, but as soon as I
> > mounted the ext3 filesystem, I started to see the locking behaviour. I
> > have been trying to move to a 2.4.18 or a 2.5.x development kernel from
> > vger, but I can't get a viable set of kernel packages built out of any of
> > the post 2.4.17 source. =/
> So I guess it is an ext3 problem because I recently switched to ext3.
> Now I wonder how to report this problem.  I did not dived deep into
> kernel bug issues but I want to do my best to help the problem fixed.

Just as an update, I got 2.4.19-pre1 compiled manually yesterday
(make-kpkg is failing to generate images, apparently because the depmod
stage of the make modules is generating unexpected output) and installed.
I've been running load tests since then and the box is still standing. You
may want to give it a shot.

Brian
fade@etc.etc.etc.

"You can't depend on your judgement when your imagination
is out of focus."			-- Mark Twain