Re: SunBlade 100 and add-on ethernet card

Alvaro;

	Note: the add one PCI card is an HME card

I haven't stopped playing around yet, but here is what happened with your
config file. I unpacked a clean copy of the 2.4.17 source tree, used 'make
menuconfig' to import your config file (which has the hme board
unselected), built and installed the kernel and the modules and rebooted.

When I select the old kernel, the system reboots without problems. (The
PCI card is currently not installed.) When I use the kernel built with
your config file, it has disk file system problems!

fsck 1.25 (20-Sep-2001)
fsck.ext2: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda4
(null):
filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
    e2fsck -b 8193 <device>

Rebooting with the generic 2.4.10 kernel works without fail:

tethys:~# mount
/dev/hda4 on / type ext2 (rw,errors=remount-ro,errors=remount-ro)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
/dev/hda1 on /boot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda5 on /altroot type ext2 (rw)
/dev/hda6 on /s1 type ext2 (rw)
tethys:~#

Bob

On Tue, 22 Jan 2002, Alvaro F. Figueroa Cabezas wrote:

> > Unfortunately, it fails against the 2.4.17 source with the same
> > error.  2.4.17 does boot and run without the HME card.
> 					      ^^^^^
> Did you really ment an hme card? Blades hace SunGEM cards.
> I'm  gonna leave here[1] a .config and a compiled kernel. Please try to
> boot your box with a kernel you compile using my config. If it doesn't
> work and you trust me, you could try to use my compiled kernel.
>
> I compiled the kernel on a blade with splack installed on it, and I have a
> server running with it.
>
> Please let me know how it goes.
>
> [1] ftp://ftp.ulatina.ac.cr/Unix/Linux/Splack/people/fede2/blade/

Bob Van Cleef, Systems Administrator             (408) 734-8100
MicroUnity, Inc.                             FAX (408) 734-8136
376 Martin Ave., Santa Clara, CA 95050  vancleef@microunity.com