Re: SS20 2.4 SMP, irregular boot freezes and swapon segfaults

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 08:38:51PM -0600, Nicolas WILL wrote:
> Any fix they applied or it is still unknown?

No, no fix for it yet.  I don't think the cause is known yet either.

> I would tend to discard hardware issues: I have no such problem in
> Uniprocessor, so it should not be a memory problem. I swapped the CPU's in
> their slots, and have the same problem in SMP, same great working system in
> UP.

I wouldn't discount memory if it's an intermittent ability to boot.  But
then, I don't know anything at all about why it's happening.

> > Personally, I didn't have any trouble with my SMP SS10 back in August
> > when I was at home able to test out 2.4 on it.  Some people seem to be
> > running SMP fine on their SS10s and SS20s.
>

> hmm... interesting... Could this be an OpenPROM version issue? I have the
> 2.25R, needed by my 2 Ross CPU's.

I'll have to take a look at my prom version next time I go home in a
couple weeks.

> Is there any list of know problems? or FAQ?

There's uzi's faq at http://sparclinux.net/ plus I'm trying to put
together a sparc32 kernel status page at http://osinvestor.com/sparc/
(where I also have kernel debs).

Regards,