Re: SMP on SS10 with 2.4

Hi.

On Friday 22 November 2002 18:13, Emanuel Schmid wrote:
> hi
>
> i know that smp and 2.4 on sun4m is a problem and that some people here
> don't like question about this but i'm asking anyway assuming that there
> are some that actually run 2.4 with smp on ss10.

I use 2.4.18 on my SS20 (2 Ross Hypersparc 125 MHz, 196 MB).
Sometimes (not very often) the machine freezes for a while when X is starting
during the boot process (network alive at that moment). But overall, it works
fine.

> i tried several versions and flavours of 2.4 on my ss10 now and there was
> always the same problem: the kernel starts without a problem until it
> starts init. then the system just stops without any error or something in
> this way. sometimes the "INIT..." message is shown, sometimes not.
> if i set init=/bin/sh at silo i normally get the shell, i can do ls, but
> ps puts the system to sleep again.

Hmm. I recently baught a VSIMM for the onboard high resolution graphics. With
that module installed, I have the same problem: everything ok in the
beginning, but when init starts ...

When I remove the module and connect the monitor to the SBUS graphics, the
SS20 works fine again. And when I remove the SBUS card and install the VSIMM,
I get an SBUS error when init should start.

> sending a break to the sleeping system (via serial console) shows no
> reaction, but as i'm somewhat green on sparcs, i don't know if that
> means anything.

I did not try that.

> with 2.21smp everything works fine, so i assumed the hardware works. also
> replacing the hyperSparc with an SM100 does not change anything.

Did not test kernel 2.2.

> the hyperSparc module runs at 125Mhz with 1024k cache and there are 160meg
> of mem in.
>
> does anybody know this problem?
> has anybody an idea what i could try next?
> is there a mailing list for sparc/sun4m kernel problems (could not find
> one...)?
>
> thanks a lot
> emanuel

Which graphics on your SS10? Might that be a hint?

Regards,

   Hartwig