audio cd on ultra 5

A while back I wrote about not being able to play sound at all.  After
some help from the list, I realized I had the wrong modules loaded & was
on my way.

Today I stuck in an audio cd for the first time & wasn't able to play it.
I exited out E & gnome & logged back in & got an error message about not
having permission to open /dev/mixer.  I can get the cd to start spinning
fine & the second counter to tick on fine in any cd playing app, but no
sound comes out.  No luck as root either.

Any suggestions on how I can start troubleshooting this?

Here's some info for what it's worth...

[valites@sunfish:~][504] $ ls -l /dev/{audio,mixer,dsp}
crw-rw-rw-    1 root     audio     14,   4 Sep  5 13:38 /dev/audio
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Sep  5 13:38 /dev/dsp
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   0 Sep  5 13:38 /dev/mixer
[valites@sunfish:~][505] $ lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
isofs                  21280   0 (autoclean)
openprom                4980   0 (autoclean)
ext3                   73720   2 (autoclean)
jbd                    42136   2 (autoclean) [ext3]
cs4231                 21440   1
audio                  22944   2 [cs4231]
solaris                45488   0 (unused)
openpromfs             12584   0 (unused)
nfsd                   74320   0 (unused)
nbd                    19584   0 (unused)
[valites@sunfish:~][506] $

Thanks ahead of time,
-Mark

--