Re: 3D Graphics on Woody / Ultra 10 with Creator3D

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 11:06:30PM -0500, Daniel 'Doc' Sewell wrote:
> Hello again...
>
> 	Is it possible to get decent looking 3D graphics on an Ultra 10 with a
> Creator3D?  I'm running at 1280x1024 & 16 bit color (15 bit?).  When I try to
> run anything with 3D, it looks awful.  It looks like it's trying to display
> things in 256 colors, or something.  When I try and run llxdoom, it does the
> same thing, even though it doesn't require 3D graphics.

The Creator3D card's native depth is 24-bit, though it is something of a
hybrid in that you can have 8-bit windows and 24-bit windows on the same
display.  (The RAMDAC does tricky stuff, and the selection is made per-pixel
based on the window ID planes.)

So I'd recommend trying setting the depth to something else.  It may be that
asking the server to display in 15/16 bit mode makes it fall back to 8 bit
as a default.  That would give the behavior you've seen.

The device itself is certainly capable of good quality 3D, though I haven't
had the opportunity to use one under Linux.  (Only under Solaris, from the
boot PROM, and in simulation.)

Jon Leonard