Re: dist-upgrade problem after make-kpkg

Maurizia,

Thank you for your response.

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Maurizio Lemmo - Tannoiser wrote:

> * giovedì 24 ottobre 2002, alle 09:43, Mark T. Valites scrive:
> > A while back I make-kpkg installed a new 2.4.19 custom kernel.
> >
> > This past week, I went to dist-upgrade the system again, except I am
> > getting caught when apt-get sees the custom kernel deb.  It says if I
> > don't want to overwrite part of it, to exit.  When I do, it exits &
> > appears to go on, but doesn't update any of the debs after the kernel.
> > How can I get around this?
>
> almost in two ways:
>
> 1. because you have your custom kernel, you may "hold" the package via
> dpkg/dselect, so it will not ibe upgraded.

Iago Mosqueira <i.mosqueira@ic.ac.uk> was kind enough to respond off the
list with the same suggestion.  Since this was new to me (relative newbie
to the finer points of dpkg), I figure I should share:

Hi,

You need to put it on hold, either by marking = on dselect, or following
http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/tutorials/kernel-pkg.en/index-kernel-pkg.ht
ml as below.

Cheers,

iago

First, since we didn't create an epoch with our custom kernel package we
need to put it on hold so dselect or apt-get doesn't try to "upgrade" it.
You can do that by doing this (as the root user):

bash# echo "kernel-image-2.2.19 hold" | dpkg --set-selections

Substitute the name of your kernel image for the above. Also, the "|"
character is made by typing Shift-\. To check that the package is indeed
on
hold do this (again, as root):

bash# dpkg --get-selections | grep kernel-image

If you put it on hold successfully it should look like this:

bash# dpkg --get-selections | grep kernel-image
kernel-image-2.2.19     hold

> 2. when you make your custom kernel, you may "personalize" it, with
> proper --revison and --append-to-version tags. this method not prevent
> kernel-image upgrade, but simply "your" kernel still yours, without touch
> the "common mainstream". this is what i do usually.
>
> In fact, my modules:
>
> mizio@sparc:~$ ll /lib/modules/
> total 12
> drwxr-xr-x   10 root     root         4096 Apr 25 17:58 2.2.20
> drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Oct 16 16:44 2.4.18
> drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root         4096 Oct 18 09:00
> 2.4.18-preempt-patch
>
> and my kernel-image:
>
> mizio@sparc:~$ uname -a
> Linux sparc 2.4.18-preempt-patch #1 Fri Oct 18 03:15:59 CEST 2002 sparc
> unknown
>
> hope useful.

I'll add --revision arguements to make-kpkg next time, but even with this
method, will a dist-upgade still try to jam a new kernel down my system?

--
Mark T. Valites
Unix Systems Analyst
1 College Circle - 124b1 South Hall