Re: /etc/apt/sources.list ?

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 09:48:46PM -0400, iudicium ferat wrote:
> I am somewhat confused about the appropriate setting for
> /etc/apt/sources.list
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
> non-free pool/updates
>
> I want to get SPARC and Sparc64 related updates -- the security
> list says I have to have some such line in the sources.list -- but
> what they list and what I see in sources.list are not the same.
>
> I see -
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
>
> But they mention -
> http://security.debian.org/pool/updates/ ...

Probably sources.list syntax vs. where they actually live...

I use the following, which works fine:

deb http://security.debian.org woody/updates main contrib non-free

Note that I have discovered that using ftp for the security updates
requires more than just doing s/http/ftp/ (which works fine for the
others).  The following line works for ftp:

deb ftp://security.debian.org/debian-security woody/updates main contrib non-free

I use http from home over DSL, which gets be best performance, but at
work the transparent http proxy/cache does Bad Things (stalls) when
fetching packages, so I use ftp there.  I should probably try to fix
the proxies, since I manage them (Foundry layer 4 switches and
CacheFlows), and set up a local mirror, since I'm making good progress
converting people to Debian.  I had one once, but I ran out of disk
space (at 18GB, for only i386 and sparc binaries).  Watching apt-get
fetch packages at 100 Mbit Ethernet speeds is a sight to behold.  :-)

Later,
  Rob.