kernel 2.4.x on sun4c

I have a Netra i which is a sun4c (right?).  It runs fine with kernel
2.2.x.  However, I'm trying to get a 2.4.x kernel working.  I've tried
2.4.18 and 2.4.19, but both fail at the "init_bootmem" line which is
apparently printed by arch/sparc/mm/init.c .  I've googled to see if
anyone has experienced this problem to no avail.

Any clues?  I'm not a Sun expert so I'm sure I've omitted some crucial
information in this email AND boned my attempts to compile a 2.4.x
kernel :-)

BTW, why aren't there any sun4cdm kernel-image-2.4.x debs?  I'd rather
have an Ultra but I haven't stolen enough money to buy one yet ...

Thanks,

  Great minds discuss ideas, average minds discuss events, small
  minds discuss people.
          -- Laurence J. Peter