Re: Sparc64 Install Problem

On Thu, 17 Oct 2002 12:11:21 -0400
philo vivero <phiviv@hacklab.net> wrote:

> Instead, I booted with the "rescue" image which, for whatever reason,
> did a normal install. Here's what I did:
>
> ok> boot cdrom
>  . . . blah blah blah . . .
> SILO: rescue
>  . . . normal installation occurs here . . .
>
> > 5. The computer begins to boot, I see the normal Linux screen as it
> > boots.
> > 6. During boot a kernel panic occurs...
> >
> > Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream
> > Press L1-A to return to the boot prom

I had exactly the same experience, also on an Ultra-1.

Once installed via the "rescue" path, everything was fine. Of course, so
much of the install just _assumes_ you're on a "PC"-like device with a
video card and attached keyboard and mouse. My Ultra-1, however, was
headless and I was using a serial console. I was able to find
workarounds to the assumptions but that made it a lot more painful than
it needed to be. Took me about 6 hours to get everything installed.

For comparison, I loaded Solaris 9 on the same machine and everything
was smooth as silk. Very few "assumptions", good support (via
"suninstall") for a serial console. Took me about an hour since once
set-up for the install, the only required interaction was changing the
CD's and I could walk away and do something else.

I understand _where_ the assumptions come from (given the history of
Linux) and I'm not really complaining or faulting anyone but I truly
believe more effort needs to be put into the installation process. No,
I'm most assuredly NOT talking about a whiz-bang, themable, skinable
all-singing, all-dancing GUI, I'm talking about a well-thought-through
procedure that gathers all the necessary information up front so a busy
sysadmin doesn't have to spend all day interacting with the installer.
I'm also talking about CONFIRMING assumptions before they are acted
upon. (Example: does the presence of a video card _really_ mean that the
installer can go ahead and assume a video display or does it just mean
the box came with one and it wasn't worth the trouble to remove it?)

Writing a good installer, one that helps novices while not getting in
the way of experts, is a really big job and is as much an art as a
science. But it ain't near as much fun as eye-candy or the 432nd unique
text editor!

BTW, the Ultra is still running Solaris while my 4 Intel boxes (3
desktops and a laptop) run Woody or Sid. I don't do Windows!!

--
Bill Meahan  WA8TZG         wmeahan@wa8tzg.org
"Never ascribe to mailce what can be adequately explained