Re: disk recovery cd, for sparc

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 10:24:14PM -0400, Brenda J. Butler wrote:
> I know that I should try to use debugfs to rescue the
> root partition (I want that /etc directory back!) and
> the /home partition.  But how can I get access to
> debugfs without toasting what's already on the machine?
> The debugfs program is there but it links to a missing
> library libss.so.something.

Well only one person answered, to say that fsck.ext2
and e2fsck are one and the same (hard links to the same
program - thanks!).  Eventually I had the idea of
installing a minimal debian system into one of the swap
areas (256 meg)(to avoid accidentally overwriting a fs
I was interested in).  Fortunately debugfs (and the
libraries it depends on) and fsck were also included,
so I could fsck the fs that I was interested in and mop
up the resulting piles of stuff in lost+found.

Morals:
- A good-sized extra swap filesystem can come in handy.
- The debian install cds make ok recovery installs, if
you have a little space you can spare on your hard drive.
- Oh, and back up your hard disks.  You /never/ know
when they will become toast (or for what reason).

--
bjb at achilles dot net
Debian  http://www.debian.org