Re: Ben Collins' tftpboot.img and SunFire V880

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 06:02:01PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> Crappy. I bet it's just too darn big.

Interesting.  You know, it's not much bigger than the image I use
without trouble on the u10s and 'blade, and the Aug 19 image was in fact
much smaller but as you know still didn't pan out.  Still, see below.

> If you have a CD burner, try the netinst.iso.

Yeah, I was thinking to do so on Monday, just because I've heard all
kinds of nastiness about Sun finickiness on net booting.  (I've never
had that much trouble, but again, we're talking like two platforms, at
least where Debian is concerned.)

> I bet it'd work. You can also try this test image:
>
> http://auric.debian.org/~bcollins/disks-sparc/current/sun4u/tftpboot-small.img

I expected no difference.  However, what I got was the same as the Aug
19 image, then it spun the / cursor for maybe half a second -- and then
reset the system entirely.

Tried it three times; same effect each time.  I had actually seen this
happen one time with the Aug 19 image but it wasn't reproducible so I
considered it a fluke at the time (earlier, but after I sent my previous
mail).

For what it's worth, and I don't recall if I mentioned this, I have in
fact installed Solaris 8 and booted it without incident on this system
(I had to to update the firmware) which proves nothing except that it's
not so broken that it can't boot anything ever. :)

-R