Re: NCPFS, anyone?

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 03:48:22PM +0200, Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> Hi Roy,
>   ncpfs related sparc fixes are now in Linus kernels (2.5.x), and
> DaveM also told me that he applied patches to his 2.4.x tree, so
> they should arrive to Marcelo soon too.
>
>   If you'll download ncpfs-2.2.0.19.8.tar.gz from
> ftp://platan.vc.cvut.cz/private/ncpfs (or http://platan.vc.cvut.cz/ftp/private/ncpfs),
> everything should work - except ipx_* tools - I did not managed to
> create wrappers around IPX ioctls yet. But you should be able to get
> it to work over IP.
>
>   It passed all test I tried, but it is easy possible that I forgot
> something - I did not tried symlinks, device nodes, pipes and other
> suspicious things. If you'll find any problem, tell me. I have now
> ultra sparc under the table, so it should be easy for me to recreate
> and fix problem.
> 					Best regards,
> 						Petr Vandrovec
> 						vandrove@vc.cvut.cz

I've been trying to get the 2.5 kernels to run on the Sunblade 100,
but I haven't had any luck.  Around 2.5.37, I was at least able to
compile them (with perhaps some trivial patch or other) but it would
never boot.  That is, I get a SILO prompt, select the 2.5.latest
kernel, it says (roughly) "Remapping kernel ... done", then it hangs
at "Booting Linux ..."  I am using the Debian sid version of GCC 3.2
to compile the kernel.

In my latest attempt, I changed the 2.5.40 Makefile to use the
sparc64-linux-gcc compiler which I used to successfully compile
2.4.19.  This time, the boot got past the 'Booting Linux' but perhaps
my options are not set right because, after getting the black screen,
the characters were unreadable.  Linux eventually hung but, because of
the unreadable font, I couldn't say where.

Any suggestions for getting 2.5.x kernels running are appreicated.
Otherwise, I'll have to try your patches on a 2.4 kernel.

Thanks for all you work and I look forward to testing.

--
Roy Bixler
rcb@ucp.uchicago.edu