Re: Newbie - Help with debian-2.4.18 kernel compile

On Sun, Sep 29, 2002 at 09:03:43PM -0700, todd.sarratt wrote:
> They seem to be a simple 5 steps, but I cannot figure out if
> I want to compile a kernel with initrd or not.

Long answer
------------
initrd is never needed by the vast majority of users except when they're
booting the install media (one of the major uses of initrd). The only time
you want initrd is when you're making a piggybacked boot+root image, like:

* Install or rescue disk
* Read-only system (like for a firewall machine)
* A kernel for a machine which is netbooting and not NFS mounting its root
  filesystem (common with JavaStations)

The error message pretty much says this.

Short answer
No, you almost certainly do not want initrd.

--
Shawn Boyette      | There was a shopping mall
mdxi@collapsar.net | Now it's all covered with flowers