Re: kernel panic on boot

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002 09:33:40 +0100
"John P. Looney" <valen@tuatha.org> wrote:
>  However, on first boot, base-config was run, and immediately caused a
> (reproducable) kernel-panic.
>
>  I'm not quite sure what to do - this is a bog-standard Ultra10, that was
> happily running solaris until yesterday. It's crashing in install-keymap
> somewhere.

I had this one the other week, too.  Nobody else on #sparc seemed to have heard
of it which I found surprising.  I got round it (eventually) by booting into
single user mode and installing with apt, and then persuading base-config that
it had already run.

I'm not certain it's related to the keyboard though - I could log in on the
second VC and work away happily (aside from base-config having a lock on the
config database.) However, killing any part of the base-config process tree
locked the machine solid instantly.

The only error message I was getting on boot was about the RTC - I'd not
selected the rtc.o module to be loaded at boot and so it couldn't set the
hardware clock.

I thought that I did have a type5 keyboard - it's set up as type5 at the moment
and it works perfectly.  Did any Ultra10s come with type5 keyboards? The machine
in question is one of our oldest U10s.

Perhaps there's a deeper bug that base-config triggers?  The box has been
working flat out for about a week now on an intensive CFD problem and not shown
the slightest instability at all.

Regards,

AJ MacLeod