Re: Gcc 3.2 64-bit mode on Sparc?

On Mon, Sep 09, 2002 at 10:41:18PM -0400, Ben Collins wrote:
> 64bit itself is not broken on Debian. The part that we have trouble with
> is very fine grained. Dpkg selects architecture based on gcc's target.
> For us, even on sparc64, that is "sparc-linux".
>
> However, if we want to enable 64bit support, we have to use (by default)
> "sparc64-linux". We can't have that. So I have a patch (from 2.95.x)
> that enabled this.
>
> Matthias, I'll get this tonight. I now have an extra ultrasparc to do
> glibc/gcc testing on.

Thanks for piping up.  After Mathias' message, I downloaded the
gcc-3.2 source code from ftp.debian.org, unpacked it and applied the
Debian patch.  After building it, I could verify that it only builds
the 32-bit version.  I then cleaned out the build and did my own
'./configure sparc64-linux' in the GCC source directory and built
again.  This time, it builds a version that accepts both -m64 and
-m32.  Perhaps your patch makes sure that -m32 is default?  Anyway,
just wanted to verify your observations.

--
Roy Bixler
rcb@ucp.uchicago.edu