Re: Compile libssl or make ssh not slow

On Tue, Sep 10, 2002 at 09:59:35AM +0200, Daniel K. Gebhart wrote:
> > Using ssh to login to my Sun SS4 is really slow. I have found some
> > information here and there that makes me want to recompile libssl.
>
> I've also got a SS4. But there is NetBSD running on it. (SSH runs quit
> fast on it.)

I tried OpenBSD and although I liked it, the SS4 is too slow for me
having to deal with source distribution for everything. Besides
since I use the Sparc as a gateway, I like to use Debian for it's
easier and hence in my case safer and more secure admininstration.

> > What is the easy solution to make ssh a bit faster on sun4m?
>
> Use the -C when opening an ssh session.
> ssh -C -l user host.

The -C option deals with compression if I am not mistaken. Perhaps I
wasn't clear in my original message, but once the session is
established I have no problem at all. It's the process of logging in
that takes 10 seconds or so.

As I understand it, Debian compiles ssl to work on very old hardware
as well. This disables support for some features on newer hardware.
Crypto seems to suffer from that.

I did compile libssl but I believe I have basically the same binary
because of not supplying the right parms (or in the right place).

Ofcourse I forgot to exactly time before and after installing a new
version of libssl, so I can't be sure. Maybe this is the best
possible performance I can get.

How long does it take to establish a session on a local network
using ssh?

I compare to i386 systems and there is a world of difference.

Bob