Compile libssl or make ssh not slow

Using ssh to login to my Sun SS4 is really slow. I have found some
information here and there that makes me want to recompile libssl.

I gave it a try and asked some questions, as documented in
debian-user. Alas, nobody there seemed to be able to help me.

What is the easy solution to make ssh a bit faster on sun4m?

I have found some unofficial debs but I'd rather stick to official
sources.

Grepping the source package has given me some clues, but most of it
is above me. I believe adding an -mv8 flag to gcc would help me a
lot, but I am not sure where to put it to have all "layers of magic"
work.

I'd be happy to repost my original questions here if someone is
willing to lend a hand.

Bob