Re: Why is it called sparc64?

At 05:10 PM 09/07/02 -0700, James Fowler wrote:
>IIRC it is because all of the SPARCs prior to the ULTRA line
>were 32bit. The UltraSPARCs and beyond were 64 bit machines. Thus an ULTRA
>10 has both a machine name and a sparc64 designation.

Ah, ok.

You probably saw my question earlier this week about this machine.  I had posted to the solaris list first to find out more about the machine, which I know nothing about.  (I now realize that this list was the place to ask my problem.)

One of the posts said:

"If you're on an Ultra 60, you're not using a SPARC64 - that was a 64-bit
SPARC chip made by HaL (later bought out by Fujistu).  I assume you
really mean "an UltraSparc running in 64-bit mode."

So that made me wonder why it was called a sparc64.

Anyway, if curious you can see the thread at:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=xx-elmer&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=utf-8&frame=right&th=7a22f4c0e87d112c&seekm=43125ccc.0209041413.13c8f31a%40posting.google.com#link2

With a little linux bashing at the end ;)

Thanks,

--
Bill Moseley
mailto:moseley@hank.org