From: mdxi [mailto:mdxi@collapsar.net]
Sent: Wednesday, September 04, 2002 8:26 AM
To: debian-sparc@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: How does Debian Linux compare to the "others" on Sparc

On Wed, Sep 04, 2002 at 04:53:26AM -0700, Joshua Uziel wrote:

> * Sharpe, Richard <rsharpe@amherst1.com> [020904 04:49]:
> > 	I was wondering if anyone has compared Debian to SuSe or Red Hat
> > Linux and how does Debian stackup against those, I am ready to rid my
> > sparc's of Solaris and am trying to find a good implementation of Linux,
> > use Red Hat on the Intel box's I have but have not tried any on sparc.
>
> Really, it's a matter of preference.  Nobody can tell you what you will
> like.  Debian has a solid sparc distribution.  SuSE's is pretty good as
> well.

People keep asking this question and I have always kept my mouth shut
because I feel, as Joshua apparently does, that it is a fairly loaded and/or
political and/or subjective question. But this morning I have decided to
speak my mind. Please indulge me in a bit of history; I feel it's crucial to
the point once I actually get there :)

In my larval days, like almost everyone else at the time, I ran Slack on x86
hardware. But for the past several years I have completely eschewed Intel
hardware completely, using various SPARC, PPC, and m68k machines to get my
work done, and I have run Linux on all of them.

My first non-x86 install was Debian Slink on a SPARCstation LX, and I have
run Debian on every machine since then, but I have also played with RedHat,
Yellow Dog, SuSE, and NetBSD.

With the exception of Debian, every other distro felt distinctly
"second-class", with some packages being unreliable compared to their x86
cousins, or just missing entirely. Installations were often rough and/or
freakish compared to x86 (and I know this is largely inescapable (especially
on old-world PPC) but Debian always felt dang smooth in comparison).
Sometimes things just wouldn't work, and there was no sense from the
documentation that it ever would.

In short: Debian rules, given that you are the sort of person who doesn't
want to be coddled by a shiny install/management system (which I personally
feel is a waste of time and misguided effort) but instead wants to get work
done, can read and think for yourself, and wants a distro that "feels" the
same on any given piece of hardware.

--
Shawn Boyette      | He had reached the stage in a young man's life when
mdxi@collapsar.net | the grimness of the general human situation becomes