Re: How to install a new kernel?

I second the kernel-package sentiment, but more on that in a bit...

* Benoit Panizzon <panizzon@woody.ch> [020814 02:32]:
> Apparently there is no make bzImage in a Sparc.

Nope... "make vmlinux" is your friend on sparc.

> make vmlinux (and modules etc...)

Yep, just substitute in vmlinux... the rest is the same.

> gzip vmlinux and call it vmlinuz.

No need to do this.  Sparc can boot an uncompressed kernel.  The big
difference is the disk space it takes.  I don't compress my kernels.

> copy it to /boot/vmlinuz (where the 2.2 kernel from debian also resides)
> Copy System.map too.

I usually copy 'em as /boot/vmlinuz-x.y.z and /boot/System.map-x.y.z
when I do things by hand.

> edit silo.conf and make it point to the new kernel.
> reboot.

Yep, and I'm glad you know that running "silo" is not necesary.

> But, Silo on the sparcstation 10 I use won't boot. Something about the
> image not being in the right format, not fitting in a buffer or similar.

Are you building too much stuff into the kernel?  There's a size limit
on how big the image can be, but I'm not sure of it off-hand.  Just make
more things be modules.

> What's the right procedure to install a new kernel on a sparc4m then? As I
> understood I don't need to execute silo like it is needed with lilo to tell
> it the address on the disk.

Basically what's outlined above... it just sounds like you need to trim
down your kernel image's size a bit.  In Debian, there's a better way of
dealing with kernels:

1) apt-get install kernel-package ... if it isn't installed already
2) make {old,menu,x,}config ... whichever one you prefer
3) make-kpkg --revision=foobar.1 kernel_image
   This is the special step... this does almost everything for you after
   you have a decent kernel config, you run this and it builds a kernel
   deb for you.  Note the revision... I usually do "machine name dot
   some number"... or "kermit.1", etc.
4) cd .. and dpkg -i kernel-image-x.y.z_foobar.1_sparc.deb
5) make sure your /etc/silo.conf is in order... usually with the links
   to kernel images at /vmlinuz and /vmlinuz.old

Hope this helps.