Comparing X performance on Debian and Solaris

I've been noticing that my Solaris installation
on my Ultra 30 (with Creator 3D) seems more
"accelerated" than the Debian installation
when comparing a couple things in X.

For instance, Netscape is very jumpy
during scrolling in Debian, but smooth
in Solaris, and if I drag windows around
the workspace, in Debian the windows lag
behind significantly, while in Solaris the
lag is a lot smaller (but still there).

I have read that there is proprietary microcode
that enables the accelerated functions on
an Elite 3D.  Is there something similar
missing from the XFree86 4.0 driver for
the Creator 3D?  I had tried recompiling
the kernel in Debian, but I didn't create any
kernels that were able to speed the graphics
to the level that they are on the Solaris
installation.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what
I might be doing wrong in my Debian installation?
Or, is this the behavior to expect from
Debian Woody 2.4 kernels?

-Sageev

Sageev George