Re: init problem

"Chris Mason" <chris@bash.sh> wrote:
[snip]
> The box will not shutdown.
>
> I also noticed that on the list of Zombied processes was an instance of
> init.

I saw this happen on one of my boxes a few weeks ago (uptime currently
shows 31 days, which sounds about right).  I have a suspicion that init was
upgraded, but the new version of init didn't safely replace the running
version.  Other than that, I have no ideas.  I believe I power-cycled the
box.  It's been fine since.

I've been running one of the 2.4 (2.4.17 or 2.4.18) kernels from Woody.  I
think the box's uptime was pretty high (it had been going for a few months,
I think).

--
        Mike Hicks   [mailto:mhicks@csom.umn.edu]
   Unix Support Assistant    | Carlson School of Management