Booting off of Raid-1

Title: Booting off of Raid-1

I've almost got it all working as far as booting off of raid-1.  This appears to be generally undocumented, so here's how far I've gotten so far:

Step 2) Recompile kernel with RAID1 support built in.

Note: Someday soon, I'll figure out how best to make this work using initrd, but for now do this.

Step 2) Setup the RAID1 partition per the usual instructions.

Step 3) Copy everything over to the new partition

Step 4) In the new partition, change /etc/fstab so that / is set to use /dev/md0

In my setup, /dev/md0 is /dev/hda1, /dev/hdb1
/dev/hda2 is the temporary filesystem I'm using to get this all working
/dev/hdb2 is my swap.

So, when you reboot, on the silo line type:

1/vmlinuz root=/dev/md0 md=0,/dev/hda1,/dev/hda2 devfs=mount

(The devfs is probably optional, but Devfs is Good and Right)

And it should Just Work.

Now the problem that I'm having is now that I've booted up, and everything's fine, silo doesn't seem to want to work it's magic to look at the silo.conf on /dev/md0.  I've tried it both from within the booted raid1 setup, and with /sbin/silo -r /mnt

Sorry if I've missed something really obvious here, I'm new to this whole sparc bit.

When I get this all working, I'll cheerfully document it better than this.

Tks,
Jeff Bailey