Sound on sun4c

Ben, Ian and others,

At Wed, 12 Jun 2002 02:18:33 +1000 (EST) Ian commented,
it> ... just load the sparcaudio modules ...

amd7930 and audio were loaded and madplay still failed.

it> Now ALSA would be interesting to get working on Sparc.

Installed it with dselect and selected Dummy_soundcard
with alsaconf.  madplay still fails with this familiar message.

output: ioctl(SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT): Invalid argument

The problem with alsa in Debian 2.2.19 appears to be
that the DSP is not supported properly.

it> audio isn't too important on the old Sparc's, so don't
hold your breath.

Pity that the hardware is there but the software can
not operate it.

At Sat, 8 Jun 2002 20:08:44 -0400 Ben remarked,
bc> My system works just fine with OSS applications
(granted it's an ultra, but still).

The DSP chip in this Sparc is an AMD 79c30 whereas
the ultra has something else.  Also, you might be running
an OS more recent than Debian 2.2.19 which is on
this machine.

If anyone has any further suggestions I'm still interested.

Thanks,          Peter E.

Peter Easthope
http://carnot.pathology.ubc.ca/