SS4 w Debian can't see 2nd nic (similar to SS20 dhcp)

I have a SS4 (2.4.18 kernel) with 2 nics (1 onboard, 1 in sbus slot)
The defaults always kick in with the onboard, and it recognizes it as eth0 instantly.

2nd ethernet card gets nothing.

SS4 doesn't see it in any way.

ifconfig only shows eth0 and l0.

I've poked around in the boot system (commands like "test /iommu/sbus/ledma/le" come up device not found; I've tried multitudes of variations, same response)

My goal is to make it a dhcp server (similar to Francis w/ SS20).

Thanks in advance.