Re: Solaris install through TFTP linux-server

On June 29, 2002 at 15:45, Thomas 'Mike' Michlmayr wrote:
 > well, it's not that difficult. after the "boot net - install", the following
 > happens:
 >
 > 	* RARP request to get IP address
 > 	* TFTP request to RARP server (and a broadcast, if that fail. though
 > 		i never managed to get the broadcast to work)

I've successfully gotten this far in the past; the Solaris boot loader
was tftp'd and running on my little Sparc Classic.

 > 	* bootparams query for NFS path of mini-root
 > 	* NFS mount of mini-root

This step, however, would fail. Now, it may be version-specific, but
the Solaris version that I had (7 or 8, I'm not sure) could not deal
with out-of-order NFS packets, which the Linux server was sending (and
presumably a Solaris NFS server would not). Tcpdump easily confirmed
the scenario.

Of course, my Sparc Classic runs Debian so well, I never really looked
back.
:-)

--
{michael}