Re: linux-2.4.x on sparc32 systems

Ben Collins wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 01:05:14PM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> > Christian J?nsson wrote:
> > >
> > > After beating on the linux-2.4.19-preX for sparc32 SMP for a while,
> > > I get the feeling that 2.4.19-pre10 is pretty ok. Furthermore,
> > > the sparc32 cleanup being e-mailed to the sparclinux list seems to
> > > further improve quality of the kernel on sparc32 systems.
> > >
> > > I'd like to see an unofficial 2.4.x kernel for debian woody so
> > > that we all interested could test it on sparc32 SMP systems as well.
> > >
> > > Perhaps we could have an official debian woody 2.4.x linux package
> > > eventually...
> > >
> > > Any comments from people with further knowledge are greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Hey don't forget potato!  Is there some reason why you're leaving out
> > current Debian stable?  I'd like to see that kernel for both potato
> > and woody.  2.4 kernels work fine on potato, once you've upgraded the
> > right packages ~:^), so let's not hear any silliness about that.
>
> Potato is almost out of the way for woody release.

If only I had a $1.50 for every time I've heard that ... I could go
see _Spiderman_ ~:^)

> You people realize that it is possible to build your own kernels?
> Install "kernel-package" and you'll even get a nice deb, just like you
> would from me.

No where near as nice as yours.  ok yeah, I could but the machine is
already so  slooooow.

> 2.4.x is not going into potato for sparc or sparc64, mainly because
> woody is almost released. It is too late for sparc32-woody to get a
> 2.4.x kernel, because of testing contraints.

Sorry, I didn't mean anything official.

> Nothing stops anyone from build a set of deb's for sparc32 2.4.x kernels
> and emailing the location to this list. Hey, I'd even welcome someone
> else taking on that responsibility, rather than hearing everyone
> complain about it.

Sorry.  My ultra2 is being forced to run Solaris right now and for the
foreseeable future [sigh], and people complain if I load down the ss20
for long periods of time.  OK, I'll stay up and do it tonight. If I
don't fall asleep first.</whine>