Re: linux-2.4.x on sparc32 systems

On Thu, Jun 06, 2002 at 01:05:14PM -0700, Andrew Sharp wrote:
> Christian J?nsson wrote:
> >
> > After beating on the linux-2.4.19-preX for sparc32 SMP for a while,
> > I get the feeling that 2.4.19-pre10 is pretty ok. Furthermore,
> > the sparc32 cleanup being e-mailed to the sparclinux list seems to
> > further improve quality of the kernel on sparc32 systems.
> >
> > I'd like to see an unofficial 2.4.x kernel for debian woody so
> > that we all interested could test it on sparc32 SMP systems as well.
> >
> > Perhaps we could have an official debian woody 2.4.x linux package
> > eventually...
> >
> > Any comments from people with further knowledge are greatly appreciated.
>
> Hey don't forget potato!  Is there some reason why you're leaving out
> current Debian stable?  I'd like to see that kernel for both potato
> and woody.  2.4 kernels work fine on potato, once you've upgraded the
> right packages ~:^), so let's not hear any silliness about that.

Potato is almost out of the way for woody release.

You people realize that it is possible to build your own kernels?
Install "kernel-package" and you'll even get a nice deb, just like you
would from me.

2.4.x is not going into potato for sparc or sparc64, mainly because
woody is almost released. It is too late for sparc32-woody to get a
2.4.x kernel, because of testing contraints.

Nothing stops anyone from build a set of deb's for sparc32 2.4.x kernels
and emailing the location to this list. Hey, I'd even welcome someone
else taking on that responsibility, rather than hearing everyone
complain about it.

--
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/