Sound on Ultra 30

I just got Debian running on a U30, upgraded to testing, upgraded to
2.4.18 kernel.  I have the cs4231a compiled into the kernel, and it is
being recognized:

ripple[2] dmesg | grep audio
btaudio: driver version 0.6 loaded [analog+digital]
audio0: cs4231a(eb2) at 1fff1200000 irq 13,7e3

However, I still get the error messages about problems initializing
/dev/dsp.  I have tried to MAKEDEV audio, I have tried chmodding
/dev/audio and /dev/dsp to 666.  What else am I missing?  I see in the
archives that there are a handful of questions about this (or similar
problems) mostly on SS's, does anyone know of a good HT or FAQ to get
sound going on a U30?

All I really need is a system beep for mail notification and such.

TIA

Matt