Re: 2 rather strange issues on my sparc running 'testing'

On Tue, May 21, 2002 at 02:50:57PM +0000, Chris Mutchler wrote:
> Okay, I've had this sparc for a year or so, and up until today it was
> running RedHat v6.2 without problems.  I have gotten rather sick of
> RedHat recently, and having had such a good time with debian on my x86
> boxes, I decided to migrate this box over, with the intention of moving
> 2 others afterwards.
> Anyway, I've managed to get the base system installed, however I am
> having the following two problems...
> 1.  When using vi to edit a file, it will not allow me to write any
> changes to disk after modifying them.  I can create a new file using
> cat, and then copy it over to the correct file name, but vi just won't
> do it for me.

Are you running slink? That sounds like a problem that was resolved a
few years ago.

> 2.  The second problem involves using apt-get.  I am getting an error
> that a package has an incorrect 'Depends' field.  The exact error is:
> dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 16078
> package 'tinyproxy':
> 'Depends' field, reference to 'libc6': version contains ' '
> If any of you have the wisdom that is needed to solve these problems, I
> would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.

And this sounds like an even older dpkg bug.

Can you give me some details on the version of Debian you installed on
your sparc?

Debian     - http://www.debian.org/
Linux 1394 - http://linux1394.sourceforge.net/
Deqo       - http://www.deqo.com/