2 rather strange issues on my sparc running 'testing'

Okay, I've had this sparc for a year or so, and up until today it was
running RedHat v6.2 without problems.  I have gotten rather sick of
RedHat recently, and having had such a good time with debian on my x86
boxes, I decided to migrate this box over, with the intention of moving
2 others afterwards.

Anyway, I've managed to get the base system installed, however I am
having the following two problems...

1.  When using vi to edit a file, it will not allow me to write any
changes to disk after modifying them.  I can create a new file using
cat, and then copy it over to the correct file name, but vi just won't
do it for me.

2.  The second problem involves using apt-get.  I am getting an error
that a package has an incorrect 'Depends' field.  The exact error is:

dpkg: parse error, in file '/var/lib/dpkg/available' near line 16078
package 'tinyproxy':
'Depends' field, reference to 'libc6': version contains ' '

If any of you have the wisdom that is needed to solve these problems, I
would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.
--
Chris Mutchler
debian@leibnizcreations.com

Linux defcon4 2.4.18 #10 Fri Mar 15 11:40:12 GMT 2002 i686 unknown