FC-AL: FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port A

I have tried them all:

I used the both the 2.2.20 and the 2.4.18 kernel (which I had to compile
myself since there is no downloadable version anywhere).

I insmod fc4 first and socal righ after (I have also tried modprobe fcal)

This is what  get on console

socal.c: SOC+ driver v1.1 9/Feb/99 Jakub Jelinek (jj@ultra.linux.cz)
FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port A
FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port B
FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port A
FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port B
FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port A
FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port B
FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port A
FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port B
FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port A
FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port B
FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port A
FC: Cannot enque FLOGI/REPORT_MAP packet on socal0 port B

This is the output of "lsmod"

socal                   6824   0  (autoclean) (unused)
fc4                    11336   0  [socal]

The machine is an E5000 attache to an A5000 array. Boot channels are
attached to the array from the built-in SOC+ ports of the I/O board.

ANY IDEAS ? What is the relationship between the drivers. FC4 sets up the
loop (that was my understanding, but why is it not seeing anything) ?

RV