X and mouse problems...again

I know this has been covered.  I found the following links and some more in
the archives.  I've followed some of the tips that I could understand.  I'm
still stuck.

The symptom is that when I "startx" in my user account I get the welcome
screen, then the gray screen.  When I move the mouse, it jumps sporadically
and menus pop up and down rapidly.  I have to telnet in and kill processes to
get X to stop.

I know nothing about X configuration.  I've looked at my /etc/X11/FX86Config.
Under Section "Pointer" I have:
Protocol "ps/2"
Device "dev/sunmouse" (I changed it from "dev/mouse")

/dev/sunmouse is not a sym. link.

Archives of a similar problem:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2001/debian-sparc-200109/msg00082.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2001/debian-sparc-200104/msg00012.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-sparc/2001/debian-sparc-200101/msg00005.html

I've done "/etc/init.d/gpm stop"

I've tried to follow the advice in the archive, but I must be missing
something.

I've got the sun keyboard with 3 button mouse that connects to the kbd.  I've
got an Ultra5.

TIA,
Mike