Annoying problem with X on Sun Ultra 5

Hi!

I installed Debian on a Sun Ultra 5. Everything is working fine with the
exception of X. I can start X just fine but it appears like the monitor
(a Sony Multiscan G200) looses sync. or something: I can see the image
at the selected resolution, but every now and then (about 10 seconds)
the monitor seems to switch back to text mode for 1 second and then
comes back to graphics mode. The X session remains where it was, i.e. X
itself is not resetting or restarting. The switches from graphic mode to
text mode (if it really is switching to text mode since it could just be
that the monitor looses sync. or something like that) seem to be random
(about 10 seconds as I said, but sometimes it is more or even less.)

I am using XFree86 4.1. I have checked my /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 a thousand
times, making sure the monitor sync. frequencies match what the monitor
manual says and have also changed a lot of different things, but nothing
seems to work. I think I was able to have a stable X display when I ran
at a low resolution (640x480).

This Ultra 5 has an ATI 3D Rage Pro, so I am using the ati X driver.

Does anyone have a suggestion? This is the first time I see a problem
like this so I am a bit lost. It is my first contact with the Sparc
architecture to, so I am not sure if I am missing something obvious.

Cheers!

Eloy.-

P.S. I just subscribed to debian-sparc, but the confirmation is not
coming back yet. Direct Cc's would be appreciated for now. Thanks!