Ultra 1 ethernet problem

I have Ultra Creator 1 (SUNW,501-4291) with HAPPY MEAL (SBUS) onboard
ethernet adapter. It's running woody and kernel 2.4.18 from the
distribution.

Every few days, usually under some network load (which is in general
modest), the network connection breaks, while ifconfig eth0 reports the
card UP and running. In the logs there are messages like this:

syslog:Apr 14 11:53:16 simbol kernel: NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
syslog:Apr 14 11:53:16 simbol kernel: eth0: transmit timed out, resetting
syslog:Apr 14 11:53:16 simbol kernel: eth0: Happy Status 03030000
TX[000003ff:00000301]
syslog:Apr 14 11:53:20 simbol kernel: eth0: Link is up using internal
transceiver at 100Mb/s, Full Duplex.

At first glance, it looks like a hardware problem, but:
1. shutdown -r  repairs the problem
2. escape to <ok> prompt allows to boot it over the network
3. Ultra was working fine under Solaris (the disk was replaced, so I
cannot easily run new tests)

	Is this a known problem?
	Could it possibly be caused by a buggy ethernet driver, and what would
be a good way to test it (i.e. if I recompile the kernel myself, how can
I be sure that I am using different source for the driver)?

	I would appreciate any help.

						Nenad Antonic.