Re: can it do pictures?

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Joshua Uziel wrote:

> I have an SS20 with the 8MB VSIMM... I run it at 24-bit at 1280x1024 on
> Debian/Potato with the 3.3.6 Xsun24 server.  It works fine, though a bit
> slow... especially when compared with my U1/170E's Creator 3D.  I also
> haven't tried it with X4, so I don't know if/how well it's supported
> there.

It will be slow, compared to an FFB card, but that's just because of the
way to memory controller works, and also because even though the SX/cg14
provides genuine TrueColour support, it doesn't have any acceleration
features over what the GX family provides beyond double-buffering.

There is no 3D hardware acceleration like the FFB's, AFB's, etc. provide.

Pity in a way, since having a circa-1994 high-end computing platform with
integrated TrueColour is quite a feat for the era. I think only SGI and
perhaps Tektronix had similar offerings then.

The best way to make a Sparc 20 more efficient for graphics is to use more
RAM and faster CPU's, since that takes a lot of the back-end load of the
memory controllers. Still, the SX is limited in it's performance, and you
can't get around that. 8-)

Regards,

Craig.

--
  Craig Ian Dewick (craig@lios.apana.org.au). http://lios.apana.org.au/~craig
  APANA Sydney Regional Co-ordinator. Operator of Jedi (an APANA Sydney POP).