Re: Sun Support for Linux

At Tue, 12 Feb 2002 it looks like Andrew Sharp composed:

> I guess I'm just confused.  Say again why anyone is waiting for a
> Sun version of Linux for SPARC?

That was not a thought provoked from my wants or needs, I was making
a feeble attempt of placing myself in SUN's shoes and figuring how I
would attempt to keep some income coming in from a (example) client
like Kaiser, who may or may not have a few million dollars worth of
Sparc hardware, support contracts etc.  If they concede to just
letting it all go, well then that's the end of their presence both
physically and financally in the Kaiser "space."

Ironically I just bought a new Ultra-10 for $322 (headless) from
http://www.solarsystems.com and put Linux on it, then dual booted
it, then just dedicated the whole box to just Solaris and took it
home from work after fiddling with it and I'm typing this email from
home on it just for the experience.  I anticipate alot of sparc
hardware out there is not going to be tossed and I needed some
exposure to it.

I try and keep Unix centered during this whole period and run
FreeBSD and Solaris at work with of course Linux and run the same
suspects at home, one never knows what forward slash env you'll be
tossed into.

Take care.

__
Bill Schoolcraft