Re: Help please to debug failure to boot from disk on ss20 running woody

On Sat, Feb 02, 2002 at 07:39:07AM +0100, Christian Jönsson wrote:
> I have a SPARCserver 20 that I run an up to date woody on.
>
> When I try booting from disk I instantly get an
> Illegal Instruction.
>
> <#0> ok boot disk
> Boot device_ /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@3,0 File and
> args: (then I can't see more on my serial port access)
> Illegal Instruction
>
> If I try to make a boot diskette using mkboot, it barfs
> on no rdev commmand and claiming there's no /boot/boot.b
> (should there on sparc systems?)

rdev is x86 specific I believe.

> I can only boot my system from an install floppy disk 2.2.19-cdm
> (but I haven't tried a network boot yet...)

If you can boot from there, drop to a shell and do this:

mount /dev/sda1 /target
chroot /target /bin/sh
silo -f
exit
umount /target

If silo is setup correctly, this should boot again for you.

/       Ben Collins    --    Debian GNU/Linux    --    WatchGuard.com      \
`          bcollins@debian.org   --   Ben.Collins@watchguard.com           '