Help please to debug failure to boot from disk on ss20 running woody

I have a SPARCserver 20 that I run an up to date woody on.

When I try booting from disk I instantly get an
Illegal Instruction.

<#0> ok boot disk
Boot device_ /iommu/sbus/espdma@f,400000/esp@f,800000/sd@3,0 File and
args: (then I can't see more on my serial port access)
Illegal Instruction

If I try to make a boot diskette using mkboot, it barfs
on no rdev commmand and claiming there's no /boot/boot.b
(should there on sparc systems?)

I can only boot my system from an install floppy disk 2.2.19-cdm
(but I haven't tried a network boot yet...)

I'd like to ask for help finding what's wrong with my attempt to
boot from disk.

TIA,

/ChJ