Enabling serial console on an IPX

Greetings:

I've gotten a base system installed now through the net boot and when
I boot from a serial console, it gets through the bootup sequence and
then hangs at the following:

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "2" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "6" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "4" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "5" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes
INIT: Id "3" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

It boots fine into the regular console so I assume that these are due
to tty1-6 being unavailable. Is there a boot time argument that will
set this right or do I need to mess with /etc/inittab?

My first impulse is do change /dev/tty1 to /dev/console and comment
out the others but I don't want to destroy access to the real console
since that is all that I have right now.

Thsnks,
-- Mark