Re: Why can't boot from network

On Thu, 10 Jan 2002, Gavinux Li wrote:

> I installed rarpd, arp, tftpd, bootparamd using rpm
> today on Redhat 7.1.
> I created a /etc/ethers which contains:
> sparc 08:00:20:1a:2b:3c
> I added a line in /etc/hosts, which is:
> 192.168.10.12 sparc
> I started rarpd by rarpd -a

The man page says -a tells rarpd to not bind to the interface.
What does that achieve? The default args in /etc/init.d/rarpd
on my Debian system here are "-e -b /var/tftp". The bootdir is
probably different on your RH system.

> Now I boot my sparc IPX and enter serial console, and
> issue command:
> ok boot net
>
> BUT, I got
> Boot Device:  /sbus/le@0,c00000   File and args:
> Timeout waiting for ARP/RARP packet
>

> I spend a whole day tried to find out what wrong it
> is, and read  lots of documents in the internet, but I
> can't find out the problem,

Have you tried the -v and -d options to rarpd? They could be
very useful.

bye

--
Ian Tester   *8)#          \7\    LINUX: because geeks will find a way