Re: gcc-3.0-sparc64 install failure

On Fri, 2002-01-04 at 10:18, Stephen Zander wrote:
>     Thomas> doing a apt-get upgrade today (w/ sparc64 sid), I get this
>     Thomas> error trying to install gcc-3.0-sparc64:
>
> I suggest either rerunning 'apt-get update' and then trying again or
> using 'apt-get dist-upgrade' instead.
>
> I just tried 'apt-get install g++-3.0 gcc-3.0-sparc64' and did not
> experience the problem you describe.

I wonder if it because I am upgrading from a previous version of
gcc-3.0-sparc64.  apt-get update does not change (I have the latest)

I don't want to do a dist-upgrade because there seems to be a problem
with all the gnome-games being removed:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gnome-card-games gnome-games gnome-gataxx gnome-glines gnome-gnibbles
  gnome-gnobots2 gnome-gnometris gnome-gnomine gnome-gnotravex
gnome-gnotski
  gnome-gtali gnome-iagno gnome-mahjongg gnome-same-gnome gnome-stones

in any event, I tried removing gcc-3.0-sparc64 and get another error:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  gcc-3.0-sparc64 libc6-dev-sparc64
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 2 to remove and 2  not upgraded.
1 packages not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 9712kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
(Reading database ... 48398 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libc6-dev-sparc64 ...
dpkg: error processing gcc-3.0-sparc64 (--remove):
 Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
 reinstall it before attempting a removal.
 gcc-3.0-sparc64

so, now I am stuck...

-tduffy