fade to black

I typically connect to my SunBlade 100 (running Debian unstable) via ssh
in a remote terminal window. I used to use Konsole, though I've largely
reverted these days back to plain-old xterm: black text, white
background.

Often, if I run grep and get a large amount of return data (say, 40
lines or more -- though that's just a guess) my xterm will go to inverse
colors (black background, white text) and stay that way until I kill the
xterm and launch a new one.

It happens both with konsole and xterm, and it only happens when running
grep (i.e., I can't duplicate the color inversion by using cat to pump
huge amounts of ascii through the terminal).

Any ideas?

-- Paul Heinlein <paul.l.heinlein@home.com>