Cross Compilation Woes

Hi

I'm attempting to cross compile things for sparc64-linux from my i686-linux
machine. I was able to build a compiler and create a kernel using both
gcc-2.95.3 and egcs64-19980921. However, I am unable to compile glibc. How
is debian compiled? Is it cross compiled like this, or is it done from an
existing sparc64-linux machine or a solaris machine? I keep getting errors
when compiling glibc in math/conj.c about internal compiler errors. is there
some other sparc gcc I should be using?

Thanks,
Steve